The first official mention of a central office is found in the minutes of the 1920 National Convention, where it was recommended that the office of Grand Secretary be the central office of the Sorority. The 1922 National Convention voted to employ a full-time secretary. The first national headquarters was opened in Muncie, Indiana with Grace Mason, Indiana - Epsilon, as the first Executive Secretary.
The office moved again with the National President to San Antonio in 1928, where Irene Boughton, Iowa - Iota, served as Executive Secretary. Later, the office moved to Cincinnati, Ohio due to the location of Margaret Huenefeld Pease, Cincinnati - Xi, National President.
In 1969, National Headquarters moved to Columbus, Ohio, with Betty Heusch Agler, Cincinnati - Xi, as Executive Secretary. In 1982, Delta Zeta leaders inaugurated a campaign to raise funds to restore a historic residence in Oxford, Ohio, that would become the home of Delta Zeta's National Historical Museum and Headquarters. Cynthia Winslow Menges, Miami (OH) - Alpha, was hired as National Headquarters Administrator. On October 22-23, 1983, Delta Zeta welcomed Sorority members and friends to the beautifully restored Victorian mansion that is Delta Zeta's permanent home.